YOUR QUESTIONS / OUR ANSWERS

Blog-Gimon6

Our answers to your questions

 

What does the 72% stamp mean?

During the traditional production of Marseille Soap, the soap maker put in the cauldron at least 72% of vegetal oil (Palm, Copra and Olive). The 72% stamp ensures it. Consequently, you can see this stamp both on the white and the green Marseille Soap.

Do you use Copra oil in your soaps?

Yes we do because the copra oil (extract from coconuts) increases the lathering qualities of Marseille soap without adding any chemical lathering agent.

Since when the Palm oil is used in Marseille soaps production?

Palm oil is used in the Marseille Soap production since 19th century, when there was a shortage of olive oil in France. Thanks to this Palm oil, imported from the French colonies and shipped to the harbour of Marseille, soap makers begun to manufacture the traditional white 100% natural Marseille Soap based on Palm and Copra oils. Palm oil possesses some very interesting virtues for the skin: moisturising and softening.

Do your soaps contain glycerine ?

The saponification process naturally produces both soap and vegetable glycerine. This glycerine is separated and removed at the stage called Epinage.

Is it common for liquid Marseille soap to get trouble when it get cold?

Yes it is. When it is cold, liquid soap can naturally crystallize. This occurs due to the presence of the vegetable oil that we use to enrich our products. This crystallization disappears when the temperature rises and does not alter the quality of the product.

Is the Alep soap the ancestor of Marseille soap?

Yes, it is, The Alep soap is sometimes called the ancestor ot Marseille soap. Alep soap was originally manufactured in Syria. The process was bring back in France after crusades. Alep soap differs from Marseille soap as it contains vegetable oil from the leaves of the Laurel tree.

What is an unprocessed block of Savon de Marseille?

During the fabrication of Savon de Marseille, the soap paste goes through a machine called the Boudineuse which will compress the paste using a feeder screw mechanism. It will then be moulded to obtain the stamped cube.
The rough block is the part of the paste which is in contact with the feeder screw and which is recovered before moulding. Each block, without a stamp, is then delicately placed by our craftsmen soap makers into the traditional canisses (wooden shelf units made from cane) so that the soap may dry before and after moulding.

What is Black soap?

The traditional black soap is obtained through the saponification of Linseed oil. It is used as a detergent. It is a very effective for both cleaning and degreasing. And also, thanks to the Linseed oil it contains, it shines, nourishes, purifies and protects surfaces.

What is the difference between organically certified and natural soaps?

Our range of natural products respects the Nature chart:

– 100% vegetable oils
– Without Parabens
– Without Preserving or EDTA agents
– Without artificial colouring agents
– Without PEG or petrochemical derivatives
– Without Phosphates
– Not tested on animals
– Recyclable packaging

Our BIO (Organic) certified product range respects the certification of the private company ECOCERT:

– All products contain a minimum of 95% ingredients of natural origin and are transformed according to procedures approved by Ecocert, the remaining 5% must figure on a very restrictive list
– 95% of the vegetables must be BIO certified
– The products must contain a minimum of 10% of ingredients from organic agriculture
– The true percentages of BIO and natural ingredients must appear on the labels
– Synthetic perfumes, GMOs, synthetic colouring agents, silicones, Parabens, glycols, glycerine, paraffin, Vaseline are forbidden. Essential oils must be 100% pure and natural.

Thus there are clearly different specifications for the 2 product ranges.

 

Previous page